Our 8 member writing group has once or twice yearly writing retreats. We enjoy time together, eat together, and get lots of work done. We make it affordable by staying at someone’s house (or cabin) with everyone bringing food. We share in cooking and cleanup. This year our scheduled retreat was in May. Obviously Covid-19 canceled that.
We rescheduled for July. This time instead of totally cancelling, we agreed on a substitute–a virtual write-in. If it goes well, we will probably repeat.
I thought our schedule might be of interest to others.
ONE DAY VIRTUAL WRITE-IN SCHEDULE
8:30am meet via Zoom
– PJs welcome.
– Bring a cup of coffee or tea, maybe a pastry or an egg, or some fruit.
– While we eat, we chat.
– Each one shares what project they will be working on this morning.
12noon meet via Zoom
– Chat for a half hour.
– Then eat your own lunch and return to work.
4:00pm meet via Zoom
– Talk about your day’s progress.
– Play game.
Children’s book question game:
- All of us prepare a few children’s book related questions ahead of time.
- Whoever raises their hand first and answers correctly gets a point. If no one guesses, the asker gets a point.
- On to the next person until everyone has had a chance to ask three questions. (Prepare a few more in case someone uses yours!)
- The winner gets a big hurrah from all of us.
In addition, the Zoom “room” will be open all day.
- If someone wants to chat with someone for a bit, they could get on and see if anyone else is on.
- Or text someone and ask them to meet.
We may decide to meet back after dinner and share some work for critique, or wait for our next Zoom critique meeting.